2 Dollars

Wanting a snack in the middle of the day, I dug out two dollars from my purse.  Grasping the two crisp $1 bills I headed to the vending machine.  As I walked, an image came to mind.  One from our volunteers in Tanzania. 

This is Maria Qwardi from the village of Tloma in the Karatu Project.  When she is able to find work, what is her salary?  You got it, the equivalent of $2.  In the photo she is talking to our program manager Honorina.  Several things strike me about this photo.  The first is maybe the first thing you noticed, the gigantic load on her back.  I have carried heavy things on my back walking a distance: school books, a backpack during hiking or camping trips, but never has carrying large bundles on my back been a part of my job.  The second thing I noticed was her age.  Most women I know her age are encouraged to take it easy, let others do the tough stuff.  In Tanzania where there are no government led social services and no retirement funds, every member of the family works for as long as they are humanly can.  She is doing her part to care for her 2 children and grandson because she has no other choice.  The third thing I notice is that she has not set her load down while taking time to talk to Honorina.  I have no idea what it took to get the bundle on her back in the first place, but setting it down and getting it back up again doesn't seem like something she is eager to do.

I'd like to say, that walking to the vending machine with the $2 in hand and this picture in my mind made me pocket the money and turn around.  But it didn't.  It did, however, make me pause as I stood before the machine.  In the end, the light lunch I'd had and the call of the Doritos bag won out and reluctantly, I inserted the bills.  Walking back to my desk, I began to think more about Maria, about her life and her work, and earning $2 a day.  I can say that I earn...well...more than $2 a day for the work that I do.  Having visited Tanzania in 2011 and being immersed in the warmth of the African sun and African people, I was struck by the resiliency, joy, and peace of the people.  Everyone has their struggles to be sure, but not much holds a candle to their experience.  A new thought popped into my head as I headed back to work.  One of intense gratitude for the comforts that I have, and a renewed appreciation for the salary I receive and the work Food For His Children is doing in Africa.

Dairy goats seem like a small thing, but this small thing can make a huge difference for the families we serve.  The goats provide nutrition and hope for a brighter future.   

Written by: Joni Hoffmann 

No comments:

Post a Comment